Rutland Record 29 – Victorian Clergy in Rutland, and new light on Martinsthorpe The new issue of Rutland Record, the Rutland Local History & Record Society’s annual publication, concentrates on the history of clergy in Rutland in the nineteenth century. First, Dr Gerald Rimmington – retired professor of education and one-time Rector of Barwell – surveys how the great social changes of the early Victorian era affected local clergy. He looks at their income and qualifications, reviews changes in the system of patronage, and looks at their relationships with the communities they served. Next, Paul Reeve, a member of the Society who is studying the history of the photographer W H Fox Talbot, gives a biographical account of the Ven Thomas Kaye Bonney (1782-1863), who was Rector of Normanton for nearly half a century and Archdeacon of Leicester from 1831 until his death. He also served as domestic chaplain to the Heathcote family of Normanton Hall and was a man of many parts whose influence was felt in many spheres of Rutland life. The third major article in this issue, by Nick Hill, a chartered building surveyor with English Heritage, takes a fresh look at Old Hall Farm, the last surviving building at the deserted village of Martinsthorpe, and its relationship to the lost Martinsthorpe House. Nick Hill shows that rather than being stables as has usually been thought, instead the farm was originally a service range with kitchens for the big house, and probably dates from 1666-70. As usual, the issue concludes with notes on archaeological and historical work, including building surveys, in Rutland during the previous year, with reports from the museums, record offices and societies whose interests and responsibilities cover the county’s heritage. Amongst these is the Rutland County Museum, which in 2009 has been celebrating its 40th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of its Friends, these events coinciding with the 30th anniversary of the founding of the Society: the highpoint was the visit of HRH The Duke of Gloucester to the museum on 7th June, an event recorded in the Editorial to this issue. Copies of the new publication can be obtained from the Rutland Local History & Record Society at the Rutland County Museum for £4.00 (plus £1.25p p&p), via local bookshops, or on-line via www.genfair.co.uk. ISBN-13: 978-0- 907464-43-3 For further information, please contact: - Tim Clough, Honorary Editor, RLHRS, Rutland County Museum, Catmose Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HW - tel: 01572 722316 e-mail: editor@rutlandhistory.org
Press Release November 2009 Researching Rutland	Registered Charity No 700273 Rutland Local History & Record Society